ORLANDO SINGS HARMONIA SSAA CHORUS AUDITIONS
TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 13
WHAT IS HARMONIA?
HARMONIA is an auditioned SSAA choir aligned with the Orlando Sings values of artistry, joy, and professionalism. Led by rising star conductor Sandra Shafer, this will be the first auditioned adult SSAA choir in the State of Florida.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- Sopranos and Altos.
- Choral enthusiasts— those who have continued singing in choirs throughout their life.
- People who sang in high school and/ or college and miss it— you need to get singing back into your life!
- Members of any of our fine church or community choirs in the area (hopefully to join in addition to your current choir, not to replace)
- Graduates from any of the phenomenal high school chorus programs in our area— y’all will thrive in this choir!
- Anyone with previous piano, band, or orchestra ensemble experience interested in experiencing the joys of choral music.
- Choral professionals, including music educators– come “sharpen your saw” as a choral director, sing amazing repertoire, and just enjoy!
- Successful auditionees must confidently match pitch.
- Successful auditionees will demonstrate fundamental music reading ability. If it has been a while, don’t worry— we will help you dust off those skills!
BENEFITS OF SINGING IN THE HARMONIA SSAA CHORUS
- Weekly time to stretch, breathe deeply, be in that amazing choral sound, and renew your spirit.
- Perform with an outstanding choir and professional orchestral musicians.
- Meet and interact with nationally and internationally known composers-in-residence.
- Opportunities for international travel on future choir tours.
- Sheet Music provided.
- Discounted tickets for the Orlando Sings Mardi Gras Gala.
- Childcare may be provided during rehearsal if there is enough interest.
- The goosebumps, chills, and extraordinary mountaintop musical moments.
- Being part of a wonderful community of lovely choir friends!
SCHEDULE AND FINANCIAL COMMITMENT
Tuesdays, September through May, not including holidays or spring break.
5:30-6:45 pm Rehearsal
Additional rehearsals (e.g. concert dress rehearsals and orchestra rehearsals) will be scheduled depending on the season’s concert schedule.
Rehearsal Location: First United Methodist Church of Orlando, 2nd floor. 142 E Jackson Street, Orlando, FL 32801.
All singers selected for HARMONIA must acquire the Orlando Sings concert attire (concert black) and pay a registration fee each year ($120), which goes towards the expenses of running the choir, including sheet music. Singers keep their music for use in future seasons. Scholarships are available for those who cannot afford the fee. Orlando Sings is committed to equity, access, and inclusion, and no singer will be turned away if the registration fee creates a financial hardship.
We are excited to meet you and hear you! Though it may seem like there is a lot to the audition, we want to give you as many opportunities as possible to show the ways you would contribute to HARMONIA. A successful chorus is a wonderful mix of strengths, and we want you to be able to share yours with us. Please note that we will not be able to accept everyone who auditions for Orlando Sings HARMONIA. However, we will be happy to provide feedback to everyone who auditions. Once selected, current members must re-audition every two years.
Auditions will be held in downtown Orlando. When you arrive at your audition, you will be greeted by one of our volunteers, checked in, and then wait for your turn to enter the audition room. You can expect for your audition to last about 10 minutes. Orlando Sings HARMONIA conductor Sandra Shafer and an accompanist will be present to guide you through the audition requirements:
- My Country ’Tis of Thee— You will be asked to sing the melody using music provided at the “Sheet Music Needed for Audition” link. The panel is listening for tone quality, vowel shapes, resonance, freedom, diction, intonation, pitch/rhythm accuracy, control, phrasing, and expressive singing. This does not need to be memorized.
- Vocalizing— You will be guided through warm-ups to listen to your range, tone quality, and intonation. No advance preparation is needed for this part of the audition.
- Rhythm Reading— You will receive a short rhythm-reading exercise upon arrival at the audition space and be asked to perform it for the panel. You are welcome to use a rhythm syllable system (Ta Ti-Ti, Takadimi, etc.) if you wish, but it is not required. You will be given time to study the exercise before reading it aloud.
- Prepared Excerpt— Before the audition, learn your part to a Bach chorale in English and sing it. Our pianist will play with you. The panel is listening for tone quality, vowel shapes, resonance, freedom, diction, intonation, etc.
Our current COVID Policy can be found here —> Orlando Sings COVID Policy
Questions related to auditions may be directed via email to email@example.com.